these tasty Sugar snapss in
your own packaging?
Would you like to discover what's possible?Contact us now
- In the store: min 0°C – max 1°C
- Ethylene sensitive: low
- Ethylene productivity: low
- At home: refrigerated
Sugar snaps will keep for about two days in the fridge. They are best kept in a paper bag or an open, perforated plastic bag. Sugar snaps can also be frozen, but do blanch them for two minutes first.
Quality and ripeness
- Ripe sugar snaps are sweet and crispy.
- Fresh sugar snaps have a clear green colour and a bright green stem.
- They glow when fresh and produce a crispy sound when softly rubbed together.
Raw sugar snaps are nice and sweet so they can be consumed as is. They are also boiled, steamed and stir-fried. This makes their taste even sweeter! They can be added to salads, stews, stir-fries and risottos. Their refreshingly sweet taste goes with everything! They are easy to prepare by stir-frying them with chicken or prawns and some spring onions, pepper, salt and sesame (oil).
Sugar snaps are very easy to prepare. Rinse them with water and remove both tips (top and bottom). When cutting off the tips, you can also remove the fleshy wire located along both sides of the sugar snap. Boil or stir fry for 3 to 5 minutes.
Recipe: GRILLED SUGAR SNAP PEAS
- ¾ pound sugar snap peas
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Blanch sugar snaps in a pot of boiling salted water, uncovered, 1 minute.
- Drain in a colander, rinse immediately with cold water to stop cooking, and pat dry.
- Cook shallot in butter in a cast iron skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 1 minute.
- Add oregano, zest, salt, and pepper, toss until combined well and remove from heat.
- Lightly spray a grill pan with oil and place over medium high heat with the grill lid on
- When the pan is hot, lay the sugar snap peas onto the grill pan evenly, put the lid on top and "grill" for 2-3 minutes per side or until dark grill marks appear.
- When sufficiently "grilled," add sugar snap peas into shallot, oregano, butter and lemon zest mixture and stir until completely coated. Serve!